Working in Britain

Doctors from all over the world come to the UK for employment as a doctor and for further medical training. Due to hospital requirements, if you have no experience of working within the UK, we are unable to register you with United Medicare.

Every service that we offer to doctors that register with United Medicare is free of charge.

Requirements to work in the UK

Registration with the British General Medical Council

All South African, Australian, New Zealand and European Union qualifications are recognised by the General Medical Council (GMC) in Britain, and registration will only be a formality. Doctors with qualifications from other countries should contact the GMC directly to be advised on how to work in the UK.

For advice from the GMC, please contact:
The Registrar, GMC, 178 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5JE. 
Tel: +44 20 7580 7642
Fax: +44 20 7915 3641
Website: www.gmc-uk.org

 Professional Indemnity Insurance

Working in the private healthcare sector requires insurance but when you work within the NHS you do not. If you need insurance, you need to contact the Medical Protection Society (MPS) or the Medical Defence Union (MDU) for adequate and suitable cover.

Medical Protection Society                       Medical Defence Union
33 Cavendish Square                               230 Blackfriars Road
London W1G 0PS                                   London SE1 8PJ
Tel: +44 20 7399 1300                             Tel: +44 20 7202 1500
www.mps.org.uk                                   www.the-mdu.com

National Insurance

Contributions to the National Insurance Scheme (the scheme pays for health and social services including old age pensions) are compulsory for all workers in the UK except some exceptions. Several Government departments, including the Inland Revenue, use the N.I number as a form of personal identification. On arrival to Britain, application for a N.I number should be made to the Department of Social Security (DSS).

Limited Companies

If you have formed a company (companies are incorporated quite inexpensively, your salary can be paid directly to the company. This has several advantages:

  • Your salary is paid gross. This means no deductions will be taken.
  • You do not have to pay National Insurance Contributions.
  • You only have to declare your income and pay the relevant tax annually.

Please note: You will need to seek advice from an accountant before setting up a limited company in the UK.

Income Tax

The basic rate of taxation is 22% and the higher rate is 40% on taxable earnings. Doctors who stay (or intend to stay) in the UK for longer than six months are entitled to receive tax allowances. By the end of the financial year a doctor may be entitled to a tax refund on a sliding scale, with a larger tax rebate if the doctor has earned within his tax-free allowance and has paid all the necessary tax.

To find out further information about the Inland Revenue and taxation issues, then look at the website:


Recognised overseas primary medical qualifications

The GMC recognise the following qualifications for full and provisional registration under section 19 of the Medical Act 1973:


  • MB BS University of Adelaide
  • BM BS Flinders University of South Australia
  • MB BS University of Melbourne
  • MB BS Monash University, Victoria
  • B Med University of Newcastle, New South Wales
  • MB BS University of Queensland
  • MB BS University of Sydney
  • MB BS University of Tasmania
  • MB BS University of Western Australia

Hong Kong

  • MB ChB Chinese University of Hong Kong
  • MB BS University of Hong Kong


  • MB BS University of Malalya

(The degrees of MB BS awarded by the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur are recognised for full and provisional registration only when granted on or before 31 December 1989. Those degrees when granted from 1 January 1990 are accepted for limited registration only).

New Zealand

  • MB ChB University of Auckland
  • MB ChB University of Otago


  • MB BS National University of Singapore

South Africa

  • MB ChB University of Cape Town
  • MB ChB University of Natal
  • MB ChB University of the Orange Free State
  • MB ChB University of Pretoria
  • MB ChB University of Stellenbosch
  • MB BCh University of the Witwatersrand
  • MB BS University of the West Indies

Guidance and help with UK Entry requirements

It is very important to remember that there are strict rules and legislation governing those wishing to work in the UK from overseas. United Medicare has extensive experience in helping its candidates to successfully complete UK Entry requirements.

UK Entry

Working Holiday Visa Commonwealth Countries only

  • A single person aged 17-27 inclusive, who comes to the UK for the purpose of taking a holiday, who takes employment which is incidental to that
  • A single person aged 17-27 inclusive, who comes to the UK for the purpose of taking an extended holiday, for a maximum period of 2 years, before settling down in their country of origin.

Certificate of Entitlement to the Right of Abode

This enables you to live and work in the UK for any amount of time. Most people in this category are Commonwealth citizens who are:

  • British Citizens by birth, adoption or registration.
  • Descended from a Mother or Father in the UK.

Passport and Grandparent Entry Certificate (UK Ancestry)

If either of your parents were born on the UK, you could qualify for a British Passport, OR, if you have a British born Grandparent, you can apply for a UK Entry Certificate, which allows you to stay for up to 4 years.

Other factors relating to Eligibility for work in the UK

  • If you do not have any of the above and wish to work in the UK, you may do so if you hold a qualification in a profession that is in short supply in the UK. Examples of these are Nurses, Occupational Therapists, Psychiatrists, Physiotherapists, Social Workers and Scientists.
  • If you are a doctor and do not have a passport allowing you to work in the UK, you will need a Work Permit or a Permit Free Training Stamp.
      You can apply for UK Visas through the British High Commission in your country.

      To receive up to date information regarding eligibility to work in the UK, please contact:

                    The Foreign Office for Visa information

		The Home Office for guidelines to UK entry

		The Immigration Advisory Service for Advice and Appeal details

-: Home :-